How Long Does a Clutch Last?
A clutch is a very crucial part of any vehicle. If we talk about cars, a clutch is very necessary to shift gears. Every time you shift gears, there is a high probability that your clutch will be used. The job of the clutch is to connect and disconnect the engine from the transmission so that it can change between gears smoothly. To get more knowledge on how long does a clutch last, read this article carefully:
What is the Lifespan of a Clutch?
The lifespan of any part of your car depends on how you use it. The more you use, the shorter your clutch will last.
Most clutches can last between 50000-60000 miles. However, some users may need to replace it after 30000 miles, while others can go further with 11000 miles as well. It depends on the usage and some other factors.
What are the Factors that Affect the Lifespan of Clutch?
There are a few crucial factors that determine the lifespan of a clutch. According to most automakers and users, the use and tear related to the clutch is what leads to its early demise. You can extend your clutch life by not using it for extended periods. Let’s discuss a few of these factors in detail:
This is one of the most important factors that lead to the early death of the clutch. Your clutch will not last long if you are a heavy foot driver. You should learn to step on the brake pedal lightly, or else it can affect your clutch very badly.
Type of Clutch
There are three different types of clutches available in today’s market. The other two types are Friction Clutch and Centrifugal Clutch. But most people use Friction Clutches for their vehicles as it is the most popular and economical option.
Number of Gears
If you have more gears, your clutch will definitely wear out sooner than expected as it has to work harder to shift between each gear smoothly
Your driving conditions also play a major role in determining how long your clutch will last. If you drive mostly on highways and roads, where there is less traffic, and the speed limit is 70 miles per hour or more, your clutch will wear out sooner than other users who live in a busy city with slow driving conditions.
Your driving conditions depend on the weather as well. If it is raining or snowing, you will end up using your clutch more than if the weather was dry. This increases the need for replacement and makes your car parts less durable.
What Can You Do to Increase Your Clutch Life Span?
There are many things that you can do to make sure that your clutch lasts long:
- Learn to drive carefully steer clear of unnecessary acceleration or braking unless required. Sometimes, it is better to reduce the speed of your car rather than try for acceleration, as it can put too much wear and tear on your clutch
- Do not overcrowd your vehicle as it increases the weight and puts a lot of stress on your engine and transmission, which also affects the durability of your clutch.
- The correct pressure and heat range of the disc is very important for the healthy life of your clutch. Make sure you adhere to your car manual when checking this, as it varies from vehicle to vehicle
- Use a higher quality brake fluid in your car, or else it can reduce the cooling effect on your clutch and can also cause slips.
- Do not use your clutch for extensive periods like in traffic jams or while waiting at a signal for very long. This does not mean that you should stop the car and sit there without moving it, but instead try to keep the RPM’s at 2000 or below while stationary
How Will You Know That It’s Time to Change the Clutch?
If your car’s clutch is not performing well, you will obviously know about it. It will start to make a lot of grinding noise when shifting gears, and the release point will be very stiff for some time before engaging smoothly. Depending on how large the damage is, you can change your clutch in any month.
The life span of a clutch depends on the usage, type of vehicle, and weather conditions mostly. But you can also extend its lifespan by using it carefully. Just follow your manual’s instructions to see when the recommended change time is.